Job Title: Maintenance Technician
Salary: 8.330 TND / hourly
Vacancy type: Indeterminate
Term Details: Locally Engaged contract.
Location: Embassy of Canada in Tunis, Tunisia
Closing date for applications: 05-05-2017 At midnight UTC/GMT
Summary of position: Under the direct supervision of the Property and Manager and the overall supervision of the Management Consular Officer, the Maintenance Technician conducts various maintenance works for the chancery, the official residence and the staff quarters. Specifically, the Maintenance Technician maintains and repairs plumbing, air-conditioning, heating, electricity and gas appliances; maintains paintwork, masonry and carpentry work; and carries out other general maintenance activities.
The incumbent may also be required to supervise and inspect work performed by contractors, assist administrative and security teams in various projects; and perform other related duties as required.
Essential qualifications: Education:
– Post-secondary diploma or certificate in a related trade or a combination of relevant, recognized studies, trainings and experiences in one of the following fields: air conditioning / heater, plumbing, electricity, carpentry, masonry and painting.
– Arabic and French (fluently, spoken and written). The candidate must have sufficient knowledge of French and Arabic to fully understand the instructions and communicate the information clearly with colleagues, owners, contractors and local suppliers.
– Minimum of 2 years’ recent* work experience in a residential or office maintenance role;
– Minimum of 2 years’ recent* work experience in one of the following areas: air conditioning / heating, plumbing, electricity, carpentry, masonry and painting.
*Recent is defined as within the last 5 years.
– Knowledge of health and safety regulations/procedures;
– Knowledge of legislation, codes and standards in Tunisia;
– Good knowledge of repair techniques in the following areas: air conditioning / heating, carpentry, masonry and painting;
– Knowledge of basic repair techniques in the following fields: plumbing and electricity;
– Knowledge of maintenance management procedures: maintaining inventories and supplies, maintaining records;
– Computer skills (Internet and Outlook).
Skills and abilities:
– Autonomy and sense of initiative;
– Concern and respect for customers;
– Ability to achieve sound technical analyses, evaluations and recommendations;
– Time management and prioritisation skills.
Asset Qualifications: Preference may be given to candidates who possess the following qualifications:
– Similar, significant experience in a position within a diplomatic mission or an international organization;
– Knowledge of English.
– The employee may occasionally be required to work overtime with or without notice; and must be available to respond to urgent telephone call-outs out with regular working hours, including during weekends and bank holidays.
Condition(s) of Employment:
– Eligible to reside and work legally in Tunisia;
– Obtain and maintain a Government of Canada security clearance (Status of reliability);
– Have a valid driver’s license;
– Meet the requirements of the medical examination (mandatory).
How to Apply:
Please follow the link www.wfca-tpce.com and complete the online application form. Applicants must also submit their CV and a covering letter. Applications that do not include all required information and documents will be rejected. Candidates must demonstrate, concisely, in their cover letter how they meet the essential qualifications and assets. Only candidates who meet all essential qualifications will be contacted and invited for further evaluation.
Candidates may be required to sit a written exam, as well as a practical exam and interview.
Area of selection: This competition is open to candidates with the right to reside and work in Tunisia, who meet the essential qualifications and conditions of employment and whose applications are received before the closing date.
– Candidates are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. They are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application (French or English).
– Communications for this process will be sent by email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure that the contact information provided is accurate and up-to-date as required;
– Please note that some email systems may block emails from unknown users. Candidates should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including junk mail.
– Security and reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
– The Embassy of Canada to Tunisia does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
– The Embassy of Canada in Tunis does not sponsor work permits, directly or indirectly.
– The results of this competition may also be used to establish an eligibility list of staff for similar openings at the Embassy of Canada in Tunis, Tunisia which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this competition.
– If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org