IPS programme for the Arab countries
Would you like to get to know the German Parliament?
The German Bundestag invites highly motivated graduates from the Arab region to take part in a scholarship programme in Berlin from 1 to 30 September each year.
The International Parliamentary Scholarship (IPS) programme for Arab countries is aimed at politically engaged young people from the Arab region who are interested in the German parliamentary system and play an active role in promoting core democratic values in their home countries.
During an intensive four-week programme, participants have the opportunity to gain first-hand experience of the German parliamentary system and political decision making processes.
The programme takes place each year from 1 to 30 September in Berlin. The core element is a one-week work placement with a Member of the German Bundestag.
The focus is also on events about the German parliamentary system along with presentations, workshops and seminars on topics such as German history and culture, freedom of religion, minority issues, comparison of systems, approaches to experiences of dictatorship and the German culture of remembrance (Nazi dictatorship, SED dictatorship).
Participants will receive a monthly scholarship of 500 euros. The Bundestag will also cover the costs of health, accident and personal liability insurance. In addition, accommodation in an apartment complex will be provided free of charge, and the costs of travel to and from Berlin covered.
The selection process
The scholarship programme is aimed at highly-qualified, committed, capable and talented young women and men from the Arab region who are open to new ideas, interested in politics and wish to play an active and responsible role in shaping the democratic future of their country.
Applicants will be invited to attend an interview at a German diplomatic mission abroad, where an independent selection panel set up by the German Bundestag will choose the successful candidates based on their professional, social, language and intercultural skills.
- Citizenship of a participating country
- Under the age of 35 at the start of the scholarship on 1 September
- University degree
- good knowledge of German (at least level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF))
- A strong interest in politics, and social/political commitment
Please send your completed online application documents by email as a PDF-file, with the file name consisting of your surname followed by your given name (i.e. surname-first name), to the German diplomatic mission in your home country.
Your application should be submitted in German and include the following scanned documents:
- Application form;
- Passport photo (please attach this to the first page of the application form);
- Evidence of good knowledge of German (level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF) or equivalent);
- Personal statement of reasons for applying, in German (maximum of two pages) and signed personally by you;
- Copy of passport or ID card;
- University degree certificate in the original form or a certified copy1 in English or German. The original or the certified copy must be able to be presented at the interview.
- Letter of recommendation in German or English (from a university professor or employer, assessing the applicant’s qualification for the programme).
1Copies are officially certified when they have been signed and stamped by a recognised authority (a German or foreign public authority, an embassy or consulate of the Federal Republic of Germany, a university, notary, or translator/interpreter registered with the public authorities) to confirm that they are a true copy of the original. If several photocopies are stapled together, each individual copy must be certified in this way. Unless documents are properly certified, the application cannot be processed.
Deadline for applications: 1 December 2021
Please apply online to the German diplomatic mission in your country!
The programme is coordinated at parliamentary level by the Rapporteur Group on International Exchange Programmes. The programme’s patron is the President of the German Bundestag.
This information, along with an application form, can be found at www.bundestag.de/ips_arabisch.
If you have any questions, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org